The Onion

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Centralist Living in a Decentralist World

So I have this client and they are a grass roots advocacy group for my profession of laboratory medicine. They have been around for a few years but they are struggling to increase membership and get their voice heard. The question is why?
After examining the readings and the models presented it came to me, they are using a centralized approach to their group. They are not so great with technology and are resistant to using it.
They still schedule meetings once a month that many members are unable to attend because of their hectic schedules and communicate mostly through emails that go back and forth.
They also try to communicate with potential members by word of mouth and email lists. As mentioned in the model, this takes time and does not reach as many people as they could potentially. Also, their efforts are wasted in trying to meet when no one has the time....
So that is my client and the question is how can we fix this problem by adding membership and exposure? By taking it to the people of course!
This client needs to expand their horizons... rather than trying to schedule meetings every month they should consider using a social technology like skype so they can meet across the distance of their homes or offices or even the playground. A wiki might also be helpful in allowing everyone to communicate in one format rather than the barrage of emails. I actually tried to start one for the group but they did not really understand how to use it and it fell by the wayside. If they gave it a chance, it would give them a place to bring up topics that need to be addressed and plan events that they want to hold.
A facebook group is another great idea! Each member of the group can invite their friends on facebook and educate not only lab professionals about the crisis in our field, but the general public as well. Many people don't realize we have a huge shortage looming.
Lets take it to twitter! Get people to follow the group and tweet an interesting fact about lab medicine everyday and post upcoming events.
If they can decentrailze their efforts and open their minds to the possibilities, this grass roots effort can take flight. They may have trouble with this as it takes some of the control out of their hands...a common problem of a decentralized model.
My final thought about my client is that in this world we live in, if you want to reach people you have to make an impression and communicate in a manner that resonates with them..... to reach the future, you have to talk to them their way.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, how would you propose to help this client in their progression? Would you take the decision to advance into technology out of their hands and create the tools yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. While that may make headway I would not want to take control that way. I am thinking of trying to start small with adding one technology advancement at a time. They are a hard working energietic bunch so I want to be respectful of their dedication to our profession. It is a tough call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,
    Why do you think some people/groups are resistant to using new technologies? What do you believe your client needs inorder to become more notion to facebook or skype? I think your idea of starting small is a great first step. I also think that if you can somehow open your clients eyes to the benefits of these new technologies, then they'll be more open to the change. You have to create the buy-in first. They are definitely lucky to have someone like you to push them into expanding their communication facets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly what I find with many people in my field is they can be resistant to new ways of doing things. I tried to set up a wiki for the group but they didn't like it, they were looking more for a medium for synchronous communication and I knew very little at the time. I thought it would be helpful in that they could post draft letters they wanted to send out and then everyone could comment on them and make edits in one place rather than through a bunch of emails.
    I think I will try and show them how using the social media can advertise out point with very little to no cost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your idea of starting small with one technology at a time. Often, when people are as busy as the group you mentioned, the thought of learning something, that does not grant immediate roi is discouraging. I mean if they feel they cannot walk away with an understanding immediately, they aren't interested. I hope they take the time to invest in this learning opportunity from you. If they give it a chance things could really change for the group.

    I also think that unfortunately as soon as people hear 'social media' any benefits to professionalism are lost to thinking that 'social' equals 'media used by kids to communicate with friends'. The gain for professional benefit is lost. I used to think this way myself. This class has helped me to see things differently. Good luck and please keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, You Crack me up and I Love your enthusiasm! Take it to the people! Take it Twitter! Make it happen! If anyone can do it ... it's you!

    ReplyDelete