The Onion

Monday, June 7, 2010

Who am I and what am I doing here...

Well I am new to the world of blogging but have to give it a try for my course... this weeks question is "who am I and what am I doing here"...
Who Am I? very hard question but the basic answer is a 34 year old white female. I have 3 daughters that teach me lessons in life every day. Today my 12 year old taught me that you must always be yourself, even when your friends aren't happy about it as she made her way to face them at school. My 8 year old helped her little sister get in the car and helped buckle her in her seat because we were running late without having to be asked showing me that teamwork in invaluable. Riley, who just turned 5 yesterday, reminded me that "rocking out" in the car helps wake you up.... so as I said they teach me every day. I am recently separated in the past six months so who I am is in the process of being redefined but I have found my family and close friends to mean so much more to me than I could have imagined. I am sure there is more but I think that will do for now.
Why am I here.... to learn! I am the type that always wants to move forward and push my own boundaries. I left my job in the clinical microbiology lab at a local hospital almost 3 years ago to become a clinical coordinator at the local community college for their new Medical Laboratory Technology Program. We were grant funded and everything had to be built, oh plus there was no guarantee that I would have a job when the grant ran out. We have pulled it all together, I learned how to create a class while teaching it and deal with problems on the fly and yes my job is now solid.
I decided I needed to go back and get my Masters first because to move up the rank from instructor to Associate Professor I must have one, but also because I have always intended on going back to school. This degree seemed to match what I needed and this class looked awesome. As the mother of 3 girls, I want them to learn that you never settle in life and that you have to work hard to achieve your goals... as much as they teach me, I want to give something back to them.
How is that?

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Karen! That was great! Would love to hear about the technologies you use in your medical laboratory tech program. I work in medical simulation at Shock Trauma. Maybe we can bounce ideas off each other regarding incorporation of technologies into medical education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great! I am working hard to educate my students to take thier place in the lab, we save lives behind the scenes!

    ReplyDelete