After reading the article on Wirearchy I think of sitting at a Panera cafe. Now if you don't have a Panera it is a bakery type place with free wifi that has pretty darn good food, and yes coffee. When you go there whether it be morning, noon or night you will see groups of people sitting together with computers working on various things. Many times people will meet there to go over business dealings as they discuss the current projects or issues over food and put their thoughts into their laptops. Wirearchy has the same principles just not the face to face connection or the food. In this new day and age we collaborate more with others to solve problems and get things done. Between my laptop, work computer and beloved blackberry I am always available when needed, I can always be reached. When a situation comes up that I can help with I get pulled in to assist at work. For example, last year I was asked to chair a committee to find a student speaker for our graduation ceremony here at the college. I formed a task force that had to come up with criteria, an application, interview questions etc. to help us screen potential candidates and pick the best representative from all of the allied health programs. There were a few in person meetings and of course we had to be present to interview finalists but much of our work was done through current technology. We created a wiki to discuss the criteria and application. We also bounced around ideas for the right interview questions in one space without meeting. The end result? We got it done with minimal in person meetings, which is great because the committee spanned over the colleges 3 main campuses.
So being "wired" means always be able to be connected and using the tools of the internet to allow you to "meet and collaborate" wherever you may be with others. How is this a good thing? You can get tasks done in less time and limited meetings, always a plus!
How is it a bad thing? No one ever leaves you alone! Being connected means you can always be found and their is no excuse for not being available. On facebook and twitter you can "check in" and show others your current location at any point. While this is neat and all, I like to be able to hide from the world from time to time.
So I think that to be successful we will all have to be wired up and willing to try new tools that make work easier, faster and more effective but when it all gets to be too much put the blackberry in the toaster, find a nice hiding spot and tell your wired world to "back up off you" (a saying I got from my middle schooler).
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

True that! Internet invades my personal space quite a bit. The more I get involved, the more technology swallows up my time. Here it is 10:30 in the evening, and I'm connected to the Internet responding to your post, checking my accounts, researching Youtube vids for a project, texting on my cell, talking on my cell, etc. I want to put my cell in a drawer, but my children are out and may need to reach me.... It's a lot to keep up with; this is true, but at the same time, being wired and being networked can get fast results and some of the time in surprising ways. So, how do we find a balance without feeling like we are losing information that seems to serendipitiously present itself or miss an important call?
ReplyDelete